Just like its Porsche Predecessors, the 918 Spyder is surrounded by myth and mystery. We were fortunate to have a Weissach edition in our collection for most of 2016, so here are our top 10 facts you need to know.
10. OptionsOn such a rare car, Porsche still allowed their customers to choose certain features. The cup holder is definitely European in size and retails for $949. If you prefer your Martini shaken and stirred, the Martini/Rossi graphics set is $10,500. Lastly, Porsche offered two metallic paint colors: Liquid Metal Blue and Liquid Metal Grey. Each one added $65,000 to the window sticker.
9. Weissach PackageFor only $95,000, buyers who opted for this performance package received magnesium wheels, titanium bolts, and the option for a vinyl wrap instead of paint. These upgrades shave 90 lbs from the curb weight.
8. Fast ChargeIf you want your battery charged in under 30 minutes, Porsche sells a wall-mounted charger that injects 20 kW for a speedy recovery. The base model charger is a work of art, and it uses 120V for 7 hours to get you back on top.
7. Two Motors, One EngineThe basis for the incredible performance is a 4.6 liter V8. It makes 608 horsepower and 398 lb-ft of torque. Inbetween it and the 7-speed PDK transmission is an electric motor/generator. It is used to store power in a 6.8 kWh battery. It can then be injected back into the system by this motor and another that drives the front wheels. Along with regenerative braking, they offer 5 unique driving modes.
Great Deals On Certified Pre-Owned Ferrari 458 Italias[soliloquy id="105769"]
6.Carbon FiberThe cockpit is one-piece of the super strong interior, and it is just one of many wonder materials in each 918 Spyder. For an additional $7,500, a carbon interior package is a great way to set yourself apart from the crowd.
5. Electric CruisingOne of the best features of the 918 is the on/off switch for E-mode. A few minutes of cruising is enough to completely charge the battery, and it offers 12 miles of range, even with the Air Conditioner and Audio blasting. At the flip of a switch, it transforms from a silent seductress to a screaming athlete, ready to run anyone down.
4. Stats Speak For ThemselvesWith the ability to reach 60 mph in 2.2 seconds, the 918 Spyder offers 887 horsepower and 940 lb-ft of torque. That is how it became the first production car to lap the 'Ring under 7 minutes. A time of 6 minutes 57 seconds was only recently beaten by the 911 GT2 RS, which shaved 10 seconds from the time.
3. Built To LastThe 918 Spyder has no belts to replace. The A/C and Heater are electric, and the engine's accessories are crank-driven, which eliminates the headaches of belts, tensioners, and their power-sapping hardware.
2015 Porsche 918 Spyder Features and Specs[soliloquy id="125723"]
2. Regenerative BrakesTapping the left pedal would normally cause the brake pads to clamp on the massive carbon rotors. But in the 918, both electric motors place a load on the axles to slow the car. Of course this only happens under 0.5G, as to keep the electronics from overheating. For quick stops, the calipers do all the work, and make the best of their exotic components.
1. Trickle Down TechnologyEvery aspect of the 918 Spyder was already proven to work in other applications. It took the foresight of Porsche to combine them in such a potent package. Only 918 examples were built, and their incredible power has already led to a few being written off as total losses. Even if you don't have the means to enjoy one for yourself, the technology will trickle down to more attainable models. The new Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid Sport Turismo is just one such example, so tell us which feature you want in the comments below and stay with us for all of your Porsche news.
Browse Porsche 918 Spyder For Sale