The F-Type Coupè was unveiled at the LA Auto Show Nov. 20. As promised, the cat is divine, an intriguing work of automotive art that brings sport and beauty together in a unique, dynamic way. Last year, we were introduced to the F-Type Convertible when it took home the “World Car Design of the Year” award from World Car Awards, and in a Nov. 6 article, we spoke of the Coupè and the way that it’s changing the game for sports cars around the world. This all led us to expect a perfected masterpiece from the second model in the line-up.
The sports car is going to be offered in two different models, which are each tuned differently to create different performance figures: the F-Type and the F-Type S. Both cars boast architectural lines that form an aggressive animal and create a wild, free image that asks buyers one question: “How alive are you?”
Jaguar presents their F-Type Coupe in the video below as a sports car that instills freedom and passion while behind the wheel. The 3.0-Liter supercharged V6 engine, dare I say, purrs like a kitten, but snaps like a wild cat. From a standstill the Jaguar F-Type S Coupè model pounces from 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds with a top speed of 171 mph. The ordinary F-Type offers all of the same dynamic looks and equally impressive driving capabilities, but with a 0-60 mph time of 5.1 seconds and top speed of 161 mph.
Both cats are a breath taking display of craftsmanship and will surely be getting some attention throughout 2014. With the rising consumer demand for Jaguars, this will be a fine addition to the line-up and may even bring in more awards for the British company. According to Edmunds.com, the F-Type Coupè will start at $65,895.
For full details, see the press release below.
The Jaguar F-TYPE Coupé, the most dynamically capable, performance-focused, production Jaguar ever, has today made global motor show debuts in both Los Angeles and Tokyo.
Phil Popham, Group Marketing Director, Jaguar Land Rover said: “The F-TYPE Coupé provides its driver with a unique sports car experience. It combines seductive design with cutting-edge technology and performance which is truly breathtaking. Engaging, precise, intuitive and alive – it is the definitive sports Coupé.”
The F-TYPE Coupé model line-up is headlined by the F-TYPE R Coupé, its 550PS/680Nm 5.0-litre V8 supercharged engine enabling acceleration from 0-60mph in 4.0-seconds, and a top speed of 186mph (limited). F-TYPE S Coupé and F-TYPE Coupé models complete the range, powered respectively by 380PS and 340PS versions of Jaguar’s 3.0-litre supercharged V6 engine, giving 0-60mph in 4.8/5.1-seconds and top speeds of 171/161mph.
The F-TYPE Coupé range complements the existing 2013 ‘World Car Design of the Year’ award-winning F-TYPE Convertible model line-up of F-TYPE, F-TYPE S and F-TYPE V8 S.
Also appearing with F-TYPE Coupé in Los Angeles – and making its North American Debut – was C-X17, Jaguar’s acclaimed sports crossover concept. The C-X17 has been created as a design study to introduce Jaguar’s all-new advanced aluminium architecture, on which an exciting new range of future Jaguars will be built.
- A summary of the F-TYPE Coupé press release is below.
To view the full press release kit and all associated downloads, click here
- To download the press release in digital form, click here
- A free to download app version of the media pack – which includes exclusive video content – is available from the App Store here or search F-TYPE Coupé
- The new F-TYPE Coupé is the most dynamically capable, performance-focused, production Jaguar ever
- The model line-up is headlined by the F-TYPE R Coupé, its 550PS/680Nm 5.0-litre V8 supercharged engine enabling acceleration from 0-60mph in 4.0-seconds, and a top speed of 186mph (limited)
- The F-TYPE R Coupé features Jaguar’s second-generation Electronic Active Differential which works in parallel with a new Torque Vectoring by braking system to deliver enhanced agility and exploitable handling at the limit
- F-TYPE Coupé builds on Jaguar’s industry-leading expertise in aluminium delivering torsional rigidity of 33,000 Nm/degree – it is the most torsionally rigid production Jaguar ever
- The all-aluminium F-TYPE Coupé embodies the uncompromised design vision of the award-winning C-X16 concept
- F-TYPE S Coupé and F-TYPE Coupé models complete the range, powered respectively by 380PS and 340PS versions of Jaguar’s 3.0-litre supercharged V6 engine, giving 0-60mph in 4.8/5.1-seconds and top speeds of 171/161mph
- A Carbon Ceramic Matrix (CCM) braking system – featuring 398/380mm discs front/rear – is optional on both F-TYPE R and F-TYPE S Coupé models
- All engines drive the rear wheels through an eight-speed ‘Quickshift’ transmission with full manual sequential control via steering wheel-mounted paddles or the central SportShift lever
- The F-TYPE Coupé has up to 407-litres* of boot space – easily accommodating two sets of golf clubs – the tailgate being available with power assisted opening
- The F-TYPE Coupé range complements the existing 2013 ‘World Car Design of the Year’ award-winning F-TYPE Convertible model line-up of F-TYPE, F-TYPE S and F-TYPE V8 S
The all-aluminium F-TYPE Coupé – the most dynamically capable, performance-focused sports car that Jaguar has ever produced – is available in three versions:
F-TYPE R, F-TYPE S and the F-TYPE.
The range-topping F-TYPE R Coupé is powered by Jaguar’s 5.0-litre supercharged V8 engine in 550PS/680Nm tune, delivering acceleration to 60mph in 4.0-seconds, and a top speed of 186mph (electronically limited).
The F-TYPE S Coupé and F-TYPE Coupé are powered by Jaguar’s 3.0-litre V6 supercharged petrol engines in 380PS/460Nm and 340PS/450Nm forms respectively, giving 0-60mph in 4.8/5.1-seconds and top speeds of 171/161mph.
The F-TYPE Coupé embodies the uncompromised design vision of the stunning Jaguar C-X16 concept sports coupé that debuted at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, its dramatic cabin-rearward stance being defined by three heartlines. The first two heartlines – shared with F-TYPE Convertible – form the muscular front and rear wings, the third heartline being the sweeping Coupé roof profile which provides an unbroken silhouette while emphasising the visual drama of the tapered cabin sitting between powerful rear haunches.
Jaguar’s expertise in aluminium technology has enabled the design vision for the F-TYPE Coupé to be delivered in a lightweight yet extremely strong bodyshell. Torsional rigidity for all F-TYPE Coupé variants is 33,000 Nm/degree – greater than in any previous production Jaguar – this rigidity providing the basis for excellent dynamic attributes.
The F-TYPE Coupé’s body side is made from a single piece aluminium pressing, probably the most extreme cold-formed aluminium body side in the automotive industry, eliminating the requirement for multiple panels and cosmetic joints. The roof panel itself is available in either aluminium or panoramic glass form. A deployable rear spoiler sits within the tapered shut-line of the F-TYPE Coupé, while slim, wrap-around LED lamps flank a beautifully engineered tailgate, with optional powered open/close functionality.
To deliver assured, progressive handling in line with its 550PS output, the range-topping F-TYPE R Coupé features a bespoke suspension set-up and new dynamic technologies. These include a second-generation Electronic Active Differential (EAD) and – for the first time on a Jaguar – Torque Vectoring by braking, these systems working in parallel to provide immediacy of response and exploitable handling. The EAD system automatically redistributes engine torque between the rear wheels to ensure excellent on-the-limit control, while Torque Vectoring by braking intelligently applies precisely metered braking force to the inner wheels as necessary during cornering to enhance agility. Sports suspension with Adaptive Dynamics damping and Configurable Dynamic Mode further enhance the F-TYPE R’s immediacy of response, providing an exhilarating and involving driving experience.
F-TYPE R and F-TYPE S Coupé models also have the option of Carbon Ceramic Matrix (CCM) brakes which offer absolute consistency of performance and excellent fade resistance, as well as a total unsprung-weight saving of 21kg.
Every F-TYPE Coupé model utilises Jaguar’s eight-speed close-ratio Quickshift transmission which is optimised for sporting performance, with full manual sequential control from the central SportShift selector or steering wheel-mounted paddles.
The F-TYPE Coupé range complements the existing three-car F-TYPE Convertible model line-up; the V6-engined F-TYPE (340PS) and F-TYPE S (380PS), and the 495PS F-TYPE V8 S.
“With F-TYPE Coupé, the Jaguar engineering team has exceeded our considerable target of building a car that delivers even more driver reward than the acclaimed F-TYPE Convertible. Engineering an exceptionally rigid all-aluminium Coupé body structure was the key to achieving this, as it’s the fundamental basis for enhanced dynamic attributes. The result is that the F-TYPE Coupé is the most dynamically capable and involving Jaguar we’ve ever built.”
Ian Hoban, Vehicle Line Director, Jaguar