At the end of WWII, Europe was in ruins. A large proportion Europe’s items of value was either confiscated by the Third Reich, or destroyed during the long war. When the Wehrmacht stormed into Paris, they found this Delage Aerosport and added it to their list of spoils.
Louis Delage (1874-1947) made his name breaking speed records and building cars with both beauty and innovative technology. His 1925 V12 engine displaced 10.6 liters and featured four valve heads with dual overhead cams. His cars were expensive, and were owned by the European aristocracy and industrialists of the 20s and 30s.
Felix Amiot, who built his first aircraft in 1913 and made his fortune building mail planes and bombers, ordered this specific Delage in 1938, with all the options. The Aerosport body was from the coachbuilders of Letourneur & Marchand, known for building custom bodies for Bugatti, Hispano-Suiza and Rolls-Royce. Only 12 Aerosport D-8’s were built, and only 8 remain today. Bodywork was done by hand in aluminum, while under the hood is a powerful 4.7L straight 8 engine with a Cotal electric four speed transmission.
As Nazi troops approached Paris, Amiot’s aircraft factory fell into German hands. He fled south, along with 3,000 employees and rebuilt the factory near Marseilles. The car was confiscated and sent to a party official in Denmark. At the end of hostilities, the new Danish government awarded it to resistance fighter Jens Lillelund. It was later purchased by Hans Jorgen Beier in 1956, who owned the car until 2013, when Vintage Motors of Sarasota imported it to Florida.
If cars could talk, this one would have some amazing stories. From the glitz and glamour of 1938 Paris to the inner circle of an evil empire, it would be the perfect centerpiece of any collection for $3.4 million. Click the link below to learn more about this classic car.
[aio_button align=”center” animation=”pulse” color=”red” size=”small” icon=”shopping-cart” text=”Buy Now” target=”_blank” relationship=”dofollow” url=”http://bit.ly/1rO8gUi”]