An insurance company concerned with the value of automobiles, Hagerty has compiled a list of the top cars they think collectors will want in the future.
Known for drawing dedicated and serious collectors, the insurance company’s “Hot List of Future Collectible Cars,” which was posted to their website Feb. 24, ranges from the rowdy and fun Subaru WRX STI Launch Edition, to the Alfa Romeo 4C.
Below, we’ve listed their cars to buy in 2015 as they have and explain why we agree they’ll be good to keep in the garage.
1. Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition ($69,685): The mid-engined Alfa has re-entered the US Market with a punch, staging itself next to its established Italian cousins with attitude and a sense of fun and flair. It’s the beginning of a new era, and regardless of what models follow, the 4C will monumental remain in people’s minds for being the return of a well-loved brand.
2. BMW M4 Convertible ($73,450): With the discontinuation of the M3 convertible, the new M4 remains the only lightweight, performance open-top M car available aside from the M6, which is neither lightweight nor cheap. More importantly, it is the beginning of the 4-series line, which provides the inline 6-cylinder thrill of the 3-series M cars, with just that little bit of extra refinement.
3. Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 ($75,000): It’s a 505 hp LS7 V8 monster. Really. It will devour the pavement and anything in its path. While the power and grip of this creature blasts past competition, its aggressive nature is going to remain in everyone’s memory.
4. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 ($78,995): It just blew into supercar-land and made some space to park. We’re starting to think the Corvette may stop raising eyebrows and start drawing sweat soon enough.
5. Dodge Challenger Hellcat ($58,295): 700 hp and a price tag just over $58,000? Dodge has undersold this one off the line to the point that dealers are selling Hellcats that don’t exist. If people want this tire-shredder so badly now, it’s one you’ll have to keep your eye out for in the future.
6. Ford Mustang GT Performance Package ($37,125): Although more widely available than the 50th anniversary edition, Hagerty thinks this is the real driver’s car. We agree. The new and slim body design, and added bonuses of larger performance wheels, brakes and powertrain, it’s going to be the rocket you want to drive and enjoy on the daily.
7. Mazda Miata MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition ($33,000): With the introduction of the new Miata on the horizon, it’s time to reflect on the tiny coupe that has become a better sports car than the quintessential British examples. Bathed in a red reflective of the simple and eye-catching original Miata, the 25th anniversary car holds the DNA of awesome on a budget.
8. MINI John Cooper Works ($24,950): Again, we’ve got to agree with Hagerty; the JCW M offers more customization and factory options you can shake a stick at. It also packs power aplenty. While there may be more of them around than the Miata sitting at number seven on this list, it’ll provide a collecting outlet for those who want the detailed and powerful Mini.
9. Subaru WRX STI Launch Edition ($38,190): Grippy as duct tape and fast as a bat on fire, the WRX is something collectors serious about driving will want in their garage. Having emerged from the club of the utilitarian, this rolling missile is a looker if you get the time to catch it. Its rallying pedigree is also going to help its residual value.
10. Volkswagen Golf R ($36,595): Nearly 300 hp, four wheel drive, 0-60 mph in 4.9 seconds and a top speed of 155 mph, this is probably what the marque had in mind when they used the rabbit as design inspiration. It’s practical and fun and wickedly quick for the price. As Hagerty put it, “It’s the Golf that GTI fan boys and girls have been begging VW to build.” This could be a must-have in your garage next to the original 1975 GTI.
Please comment below and let us know what you think about this list. We’re sure you have your own top ten, too, so why not chime in?
If you are looking to buy or sell super cars online, duPontREGISTRY.com is the perfect site for you.